WILLOUGHBY HILLS, Ohio—Four former pastors and their wives returned to Nottingham Baptist Church on Aug. 1 and 2 for the church’s centennial celebration. Will and Charlene Davis, Don and Dell McClintick, Brian and Sharon Humphreys, and Michael and Joanie Spiegel participated during the Saturday and Sunday services, along with the current pastor, David (and Linda) Chapman, and the assistant pastor, Loren (and Terra) Decker.
Former church members and current and formerly supported missionaries attended the weekend celebration. A reunion choir, including former and present choir members, sang during the Sunday morning service an arrangement of “Step by Step” with “O God Our Help in Ages Past.”
Nottingham officially organized in 1909 as a German-speaking Baptist congregation on the east side of Cleveland. Forty-five years later the church’s growing congregation, under the leadership of Dr. Allan Lewis, moved from the first property to a new location in Euclid. With the move came the new name, Euclid Nottingham Baptist Church. Three decades later the thriving congregation, led by Pastor Don McClintick, was geographically on the move again, securing property and building a new facility in Willoughby Hills and once again using the name Nottingham Baptist Church.
The 2009 centennial theme verse is, “This was the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes” (Psalm 118:23). The observance concludes in November with guests Dr. John Greening and Dr. David Warren and a Bible conference with former pastor Will Davis.