I’m taking a bit of a detour from my previous articles on preaching by asking a series of questions that I hope will be helpful for others and myself. I have been preaching now for a little over four years, and my planning for preaching has changed every year. I currently schedule all of my preaching and teaching in September for the entire following year. I typically have three or four missionaries in per year and maybe a guest speaker or two over the course of a calendar year. I’m not the most organized person in the world, so planning for an entire calendar year has been a big step forward for me in my preaching schedule.
With that introduction, I would like to hear your input:
1. How far in advance do you plan your preaching schedule (week, month, year in advance)?
2. When do you prepare for the sermon you are preaching on a given week (that week, weeks in advance, night before)?
3. How many guest speakers (missionaries, special speakers, etc.) do you have in per year?
4. Do you try to balance your preaching so you are not always in the Old Testament or New Testament?
5. What percent of your preaching is topical and how much is textual?
6. Do you often change your preaching schedule to address specific issues that have developed in the church?
7. Do you have any advice for the rest of us on how to make our preaching planning and scheduling more effective?