Continuing education might seem costly—but ignorance is more expensive.
Here are five ways to build support and funds so you and your team can keep on learning.
- Educate your church board about the importance of continuing education so it becomes a part of your annual budget. Give board members input when you return, showing that their investment was a good one.
- Invite lay leaders to attend strategic events with you so they can grow too—and catch the vision for putting budget money into training.
- Pursue the Lilly Foundation for potential grant money for sabbaticals and continuing education. Ask your denomination about continuing education scholarships as well.
- Go to individuals in your church who have resources and cast the vision to them for gaining training at a specific event.
- Save your own money during the year for conference expenditures. Professional growth and education expenses are tax-deductible even for training that’s not required for you to maintain your position. Tack on family vacation days adding value to the time investment.
Reprinted by permission, Rev! Magazine, Copyright 2006, Group Publishing, Inc., Box 481, Loveland, CO 80539.