SCHAUMBURG, Ill.—Two years ago when a massive earthquake hit Haiti, the GARBC International Ministries cruised into action, launching Hope for Haiti. The planning and work has been ongoing—sharing the gospel with the homeless, ministering to displaced pastors, rebuilding the demolished Baptist churches that are part of the GARBC’s own partnership association in Port-au-Prince.
- View the Hope for Haiti video.
Now, moving into a new year, the International Ministries has partnered with two other ministries to accomplish the mutual goals of assisting churches and pastors in this broken country. Partnering with Construction for Worldwide Evangelism, based in Tampa, Fla., two church buildings will be constructed this year. Chris Hindal, International Ministries director, reports that the first church is expected to be completed May 12, and the second on July 28. The International Ministries will provide accommodations for the building teams and invest 25 percent of the construction costs. CWE is raising the remaining 75 percent of the costs and will oversee the construction using manpower from local churches.
In addition, four pastors’ homes will be built, a goal that the ABWE Project Office shares. Dave Manore is the onsite building superintendent. The first house will be built in January, the second in June, the third in September, and the fourth in October, Hindal says.
With the help of donors, GARBC International Ministries has already helped meet the urgent physical needs of water, generators, food, and equipment. The people of Haiti are continuing to strengthen both physically and spiritually, but our Haitian brothers and sisters in Christ are meeting and worshiping together on top of rubble and in the open air. The church bodies are seeing new converts and experiencing growth. Now they need help rebuilding their church facilities. Through the partnership of three like-minded ministries, believers in Haiti will have roofs over their heads so they can more effectively meet the spiritual and physical needs of those around them.
As Chris Hindal says, “Haiti is not without hope. The source of all hope is Christ, and His light is shining in Haiti.”