CRESAPTOWN, Md.—Calvary Baptist Church celebrated its 75th anniversary. More than 350 people gathered for the weekend celebration, including former members who traveled from Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and Michigan.
Calvary Baptist began with seven men who formed Calvary Independent Tabernacle Association in August 1934. Calvary was then located on Wood Street, south of the church. The sanctuary was completed in 1953. The church now ministers through small group Adult Bible Fellowships, Awana, a prison ministry, and a youth ministry, and is home to Calvary Christian Academy and daycare. Calvary Christian Academy is the largest and most well-known ministry to the community. Recently CCA also began offering a homeschool umbrella for homeschooled students. CCA, which began in 1973, now has an enrollment of 287.
Remembering the event’s theme “To God Be the Glory,” Calvary Baptist gives God praise for its long-lasting ministry of serving the community and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Former pastors attending the event included Frank Chittock, Steve Dodd, David Henriksen, David Kraft, and Nathan Davis. Former Pastor Richard Seefried, who was unable to attend, provided a DVD congratulating the church for 75 years of faithful ministry.
Currently serving Calvary Baptist Church are Bruce McBride, pastor; James Stargel, pastor of student ministries; Charles Nicholson, business administrator; Geoff Wheeler, CCA administrator; and Rusty Kitzmiller, CCA development director.